- Thinly sliced cucumbers
- Thinly sliced onion (about 1/4 as much volume as the cukes)
- 1/4 cup vinegar or lemon juice
- 2 Tblspoons oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tblspoon sugar
Mix together and add to the cukes and onion
CUCUMBER YOGURT SALAD:
- Thinly sliced Cucumbers
- Thinly sliced Onion
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 Tblspoon fresh dill weed or mint
Place cucumbers and onion in a large bowl and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt. Let sit for 1 hour. Drain. Then combine with the dill (or mint) and yogurt. Very soothing.
Thank you, Andy Chmar, for suggesting this recipe!
- 2 (17-ounce) container Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 3 cucumbers, unpeeled, seeded and chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped red onion
- 9 scallions, white and green parts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 3/4 cup lemon juice (ideally freshly squeezed, about 6 lemons)
- 3/4 pound cooked fresh shrimp, halved
- Thin slices of lemon, halved, for garnish
- Fresh dill, for garnish
In a large mixing bowl, stir together the yogurt, half-and-half, cucumbers, red onion, scallions, salt and pepper. Transfer the mixture in batches to the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Process until the cucumbers are coarsely pureed and then pour into another bowl. Continue processing the soup until all of it is pureed. Fold in the dill, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, until very cold. Just before serving, stir in the lemon juice. Serve chilled, garnished with the lemon, dill and shrimp.
COOL (AS A) CUCUMBER, SUNGOLD , FETA AND GRAIN SALAD
- Cucumber, diced
- Sungold cherry tomatoes, halved
- Cooked grain, such as quinoa, bulgur or wheat berries
- Parsley or cilantro, minced
- Feta cheese, crumbled
- Olive Oil
- Apple cider vinegar
- Lemon juice
- Black pepper
My recipe for this well-loved salad is exceedingly simple, so feel free, of course, to spice it up however you would like!
Cook your choice of grain according to the directions. You will want about a 50/50 proportion of grain to veggies. As the grain is cooking, dice the cucumbers and halve the sungolds. Mix them together in a large bowl with feta, parsley or cilantro, oil, vinegar, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Then combine with the semi-cooled grain and put it all in the fridge for a few hours or overnight.