VELVETY VEGETABLE SOUP (from “Simply in Season””)
- 1 medium onion
- 4 cups leek (diced, white part and 1 inch of green)
- 1 cup celery (diced)
- Saute in 1/4 cup olive oil of medium-low heat until wilted, 15 minutes
- 2 tablespoons fresh tarragon (chopped, or 2 teaspoons dried)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (chopped, or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/3 teaspoon pepper
Add and stir well.
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 cups potatoes (diced)
Add, cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, 15 minutes
- 1 bunch spinach (or bok choy? could be good!) (chopped) (optional)
Add and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove soup from heat. Puree with hand blender in pot or in small batches in regular blender or food processor. Return soup to pot and place over low heat.
- 1/2 cup milk (optional)
Add, if using, and heat through. Add additional water or broth if thinner consistency is desired. Adjust seasonings and serve. Optional garnish: a swirl of plain yogurt and/or sprigs of fresh herbs, such as parsley, thyme, chives, or a celery leaf.