Monthly Archives: August 2015

Week 14

Summer sunflower

Summer sunflower

Hello CSA members,

And hello September! As August makes its exit on this Week #14 (the time sure is whizzing by!), we are harvesting some tasty veggies for you to enjoy. Among them will be:

Tomatoes
Summer Squash
Garlic
Leeks
A selection of Beans, Shishito Peppers, Okra and Eggplant
Cherry Tomatoes or Tomatillos
Kale or Chard
Carrots (No need to peel–especially the beautiful purple-skinned carrots you’ve been receiving!)
Sweet and Hot Peppers
Arugula
Beet Greens
Lettuce

Bok Choy

We spend 90% of the day staring at the ground, and the other 10% looking up at this spectacular view.

We spend 90% of the day staring at the ground, and the other 10% looking up at the spectacular ridge for renewal.

As Fall trickles in, so will all of its lovely greens. This week we begin to see the first of them return in fuller force from their summer hiatus (everyone needs a summer vacation, right?). Along with them this week are beet greens. Beets are a relative of spinach and chard–in the Chenopodiaceae botanical family, for all you plant nerds–which is why their greens taste so similar to both of these plants. Of course, it would be a no-brainer to prepare them similarly to how you would prepare spinach and chard, which is why I love this recipe for Milk-Braised Beet Greens (think creamed spinach) from Food52:
This recipe calls for a shallot, but an onion would work just as well; or, better yet, a leek from your share!
Colorful carrots

Colorful carrots

I hope you haven’t grown tired of carrots just yet. To use them up, and also because I love them, I put them in just about everything: grated in salads, stir fries and tuna salad, chopped into crockpot stew, or tossed into any pot of bone broth I am making. However, there exists a potential threshold for carrot-y inspiration that I imagine some of us have hit. But I’m here to tell you it’s all in our imagination, because this idea for a Chilled Carrot Soup from Epicurious is more than enough inspiration in these final hot days of summer to keep us all in the kitchen kicking it with our carrots:
Not to brag or anything, but our tomatoes won LOTS of awards at the market this week!

Not to brag or anything, but our tomatoes won LOTS of awards at the market this week!

A tomato hornworm sporting some parasitic wasp eggs.

 

Have a great week, everyone, and eat up!

Alison

The sun resting on the ridge after a full day's work

The sun resting on the ridge after a full day’s work

Advertisements

6 Comments

Filed under Uncategorized